Forming an LLC in Florida is both easy, inexpensive and it’s an excellent way to protect your assets. The total cost depends on your choice of filing. You can go DIY or use one of the online filings companies to do it for you.
The DIY basic cost to form an LLC is $120. This includes filing of the Articles of Organization–$100 plus a $25 fee for a Registered Agent.
There are some optional services you can add like getting a Certified Copy- $30 and a Certificate of Status-$5.
Document Filing Service Company
Here are some of the additional services that you get with the higher-priced package.:
- Free Domain Name
- Obtain Federal Tax ID (EIN)
- Custom LLC Operating Agreement
- Custom LLC Banking Resolution
- Custom Organizational Minutes
- Electronic Delivery of State Documents
- Customized Digital Corporate Kit
- Free Business Website and Web Hosting
If you don’t have the time or desire to get these things for your business, then it’s a good deal to use a filing service. However, if you want just the basics, there is no need to pay more.
Rentce is reader-supported. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we may earn a commission.
How to Form an LLC by Yourself
Step 1 Make sure the name you want to register is not taken
Search Sunbiz for Your Proposed Name, LLC or L.L.C. Picking a name that’s different is the best way to ensure your registration is approved.
Step 2 Create an LLC Agreement
If you are a single-member LLC, you don’t need an agreement. Please read this article on the “Olmstead Patch”, written by a prominent Miami asset protection lawyer, if you are considering a single-member LLC in Florida.
Step 3 File Your Articles of Organization
You can file and pay online at Sunbiz. After you file, you will receive an acknowledgment from the Division of Corporations after five days on average.
If you picked a name that was different enough, you wouldn’t have an issue with the approval.
These are the things you need to file the Articles of Organization:
- The name of the business
- The main address of the company
- The mailing address is different from the principal place of business
- Registered Name and Address - This is the person or entity that will accept service of process on behalf of the company. A registered agent can be an entity with a physical address in Florida or a person associated with the business. The cost for a Registered agent is between $49 to $150 per year. Florida Registered Agent is an affordable choice.
- You must pick an effective date. No more than five business days prior to, or 90 days after, the date the document is filed online.
Step 5 Obtain Federal Tax ID (EIN)
You will need an EIN number in order to open a bank account for the LLC. Here is how to apply online (IRS website)